There’s good and there’s bad with these things. On the good side, there’s the money. Also, there’s the fact I’m not putting big amounts of face time in the office or getting up and rushing to get out of the house and into an office by a certain time.
On the bad side, these things are for the most part, all-consuming. I get stuff from my client sometime after 7 in the evening and I turn it around by early the next day. I stay up real late working, and then catch a few hours sleep, email a note and materials to the client and then I’m available for most of the day in case there are changes or something is happening with the project.
Sleep is usually an afterthought and most of my personal life suffers. Anyway, I started these things back in late September and now I look up and it’s November?! Where did the month go?
I did a good enough job on these things the client ripped of my design for one of their other books - I wouldn’t mind as much if I had gotten the actual work but, what are you going to do?
Now, it’s time to look around for the next meal. There are a couple of leads so I’ll just have to see what pans out.
On other fronts, I was watching Georgie Jr sign this bill into law about PBA (partial birth abortion). This is a touchy subject for lots of people.
Now, I’m not a woman though and I don’t think it’s the place of a bunch of men to legislate a women’s body (funny how there aren’t any women in that picture, isn’t it?). I have some moral concerns about the whole thing yet, it’s not my place to enforce my moral code on anyone else and truthfully the whole subject falls into one of those gray areas. I can understand both sides of the argument but, I can’t see where outlawing abortion and setting up situations where it’s a “back alley” procedure would do anyone any good.
During the signing of the bill, President Bush made the following remarks (you can see his remarks in their entirety by clicking on the quote):
Our nation owes its children a different and better welcome. (Applause.) The bill I am about to sign protecting innocent new life from this practice reflects the compassion and humanity of America.
I only caught a snippet of his remarks and easily could have taken them out of context.
They got me really angry though...
What bothered me more than anything was the government was so determined to legislate this. What happened to the child after it was born, really isn’t as much of a concern. It bothers me we can send money overseas ($87 billion to Iraq and Afghanistan) but, we have trouble raising the standards of education in our country, protecting the rights of children in foster care, and making college (or any kind of secondary education) affordable for the majority of Americans without burdening them with prohibitive debt.
There just seems to be something very wrong with that equation.
No comments:
Post a Comment